North of Boston is a family farm in Boxford, Massachusetts that specializes in bringing exceptional food to everyone—absolutely everyone. We offer the state’s most flexible and customizable home delivery service. We sell at a wide range of Massachusetts farmers markets and we operate a farm store that’s inclusive, accessible, and fully stocked seven days a week. And we run a food access program that dependably brings fresh food to shelters and families that might otherwise go without.
We work hard every day to produce compelling and delicious food——and we broaden our offerings by sourcing from local farms and cooperatives we know and trust. With nearly 350 years of family farming experience, we know how to grow and we know where to go.
Our mission: To cultivate relationships with local food.
Our vision: To grow a thriving local food culture that’s inclusive, accessible, and resilient as hell.
Our guarantee: If our food isn’t the best you’ve ever had, simply let us know and we’ll make it right.
From our farm to your home. No delivery fees. No commitments. No order minimums. No confusing schedules. Only exceptional quality and exceptional service. We’ll even carry your order inside and unpack it for you. Home delivery. Done better.
How Does Our Delivery Service Work?
- Open the order form and select your town from the dropdown list. A list of open delivery days will appear. Choose whichever day is best for you.
- Select what you want us to bring. Be as specific as you’d like, and share any delivery details too. How can we be helpful? Our drivers are trained and they care.
- Submit your order and receive a summary confirmation via email. No payment is submitted or accepted at time of order. (Please check your spam folder.)
- The day before delivery, we weigh and pack your order to your specifications. Then we send you an invoice via email, which includes an attached itemized pack list that details weights and sizes and totals.
- A 90 minute delivery window is emailed to you the evening before delivery, and then you’ll receive real-time updates via text message beginning 30 minutes before your order arrives.
- If you won’t be home, we can place your order in a cooler, pop it inside your door, leave it in a mailroom, or with a lobby attendant, or on a back porch, or whatever else you can imagine. Just let us know when you complete the order form.
More About our Delivery Process
Our trucks and our drivers; no 3rd-party
distribution service or cooperative.
Weather-resistant waxed produce boxes;
FDA-compliant bags; refrigerated vans.
Remote temperature monitoring.
Food safety is paramount.
Delivered, not shipped.
The distinction is great.
Exceptional food and exceptional service.
We currently service 51 communities in the North Shore, Boston and its suburbs, Metro West, and the South Shore. As we grow into our new and improved delivery service, we add more and more communities to our service area. If you live near our service area and would like your community to be added, please.
We offer the following delivery times:
- Thursday delivery
- Friday delivery
- Saturday delivery
- Monday delivery
- Tuesday delivery
- Wednesday delivery
* Order pickup available at this market
Our Farm Store
Our new farm stand is located at 9 Ipswich Road in Boxford.
We are open every day 10:00am to 6:00pm. In addition to our full selection of produce, fruit, and meat, we carry products from local vendors including milk, eggs, and cheese.
Of course, you can place an order and it will be boxed up and ready to go on the date you choose.
We sell year-round at Massachusetts farmers markets and we offer convenient pre-ordering for smooth and simple pickup when you arrive. We do not charge any fees for this service and there is no order minimum.
How Does Market Pickup Work?
- Place your order via our online ordering form, selecting the farmers market you plan to attend.
- After weighing and packing your order to your specifications, we’ll send you an invoice via email the evening before market.
- You may pay the invoice or in-person at the market.
Currently you can find us at:
The Farm Market at Mill No. 5 in Lowell, Sunday 10-1pm: Year Round
The Farm Market at Mill No. 5 in Lowell, Sunday 10-1pm
Farm Store: Every Day 10:00-6:00
Every Day 10:00-6:00
How We Grow
North of Boston produces fresh food while maintaining a strong focus on soil health and natural resource conservation. We are USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service Farm #1675
Here are a few examples of how we do things:
We do not spray our crops. We have no pesticide licenses, and we don’t own a sprayer. We think it’s better to lose a crop and replant, than to deal with poisons and nonsense.
All our seeds and plants are non-GMO and are sourced primarily from High Mowing Organics, Johnny’s Organics, and Holmes Seeds with preference always toward heirloom varieties, as well as those we’ve maintained in our family’s thirteen generations of farming in Massachusetts.
We use cow manure, chicken manure, and commercially produced nitrogen-rich fertilizers.
We maintain year-round cover crops to increase soil health, to increase our farm’s biodiversity, and to attract pollinators while providing a valuable corridor to surrounding conservation lands.
We do not use chemical herbicides. We use straw mulch, hand tools, mechanical cultivators, and ground fabric for weed control.
How We Raise
We specialize in heritage breed animals. We never use antibiotics, growth hormones, or other shortcuts. Rather, we respect animals and raise them as our family has for generations–outdoors in the sun, on grass. We also co-raise animals the same way with our longtime friend, Farmer Tom of Sanford, Maine.
North of Boston is nothing like a factory farm and it shows in the quality of all our products.